The Royal Mint has issued these coins since the early 1980s. A popular coin made using sterling silver and finished in proof.
To celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the first modern day sovereign, a coin that goes back to 1817. The Royal Mint has issued a gold proof sovereign that is double the thickness. The term Piedfort is French and translates to "Heavy Measure"
Only 3,500 proof gold sovereigns Piedfort coins issued. As this is a minting first, the coin has already become collectable in the gold coin industry.
Struck in 22ct Gold with a polished proof finish, these gold coins are great for coin collection interests.
- This design features Benedetto Pistrucci’s original 1817 ‘garter’ design.
- Made with tools remastered from Pistrucci’s 1817 originals
- The date displayed on the obverse, not seen since 1887
- Struck in 22 carat gold and finished to a Proof standard
- Piedfort Coins in gold a new edition to The Sovereign coins